Thursday, July 5, 2012

Start of a new journey

Well as most of you know, my family and I have taken a new journey in our life.  It is called cancer.  Breast cancer to be exact.  I will tell you my story and the update from today at the end.  Keep reading my posts, which I hope to do periodically, for you all to stay updated, but for me also to have a way to get things out in the open and off my chest.
Well it all started June 1st.  I had a mammogram and it looked suspicious so they had me come back for a repeat.  Which has happened to me many times before but on the repeat it didn't look good.  So on this day, my wonderful husband Rob drove me back to the center for a biopsy.
It took 6 days to get back the results which showed positive for cancer.  I kinda already thought this in my mind and the words the doctor was saying to me on the phone just confirmed my feelings.  It was like my brain was in a cloud.  I didn't know what to think but only "what is next".
Immediately the nurse navigator called me to help me through all the information and tell me what to expect and what to do.  We set up my appt with the surgeon.
I saw Dr. Brown on June 12th.  He gave the pathology report and explained it to me and Rob but the words just kept swimming around in my head. Words like cancer, insitu, ductal, grade2, stage 1.  I didn't know what any of this meant.  Dr. Brown and his office is so great and helpful.  The even gave me a huge bag of patient education materials for me to read!!  He said the next step was to get a MRI.

MRI experience:
June 19th. I had the MRI.  Let me back track to June 18th, the night before.  I decided it was time for me to read and go through ALL of the education materials that night that Dr. Brown has given me.  The material gave me websites to go on for more information.  Knowing the nurse I am, you know I did just that.  And knowing a nurse, we want all the information we can get.  So YES I did. I watched videos.  First is just started out seeing what the MRI experience would be like, then it turned into watching videos of a lumpectomy, tumor biopsy.  I stopped there.  I figured that was enough for now.
So now I was "informed" of my MRI  and other things also!  I went to my MRI and one of my special friends met me there to help me through this.  The MRI was so weird.  I had to lay on my stomach and put my "boobs" in these holes.  It took 45 minutes of them telling me, "don't move", "were almost done".  It felt like an eternity.  Now all I have to do is wait again!!

I got the results the very next day!!  How  astonishing! I wasn't expecting to hear from them for at least a week.  They said it didn't look like it  had any changes and my next step was to schedule my surgery.
I got that scheduled (as I told the lady) for the first available!!  She got me in on the schedule for a week later, June 27th.  I didn't care where it was going to be at or what time, I just wanted this to be over.  So I had it scheduled at Suburban Hospital at 3 pm.  I had to stay NPO (nothing to eat or drink) from midnight til surgery!! I knew I could do it.  I know I just couldn't wait anymore to get this cancer out of my body!!

No comments:

Post a Comment