Saturday, July 7, 2012

bending not breaking

Today I remembered I forgot to ask Dr. Brown something when I was in his office on Thursday: when it would be ok for me to start running on my treadmill again.  So I went to the internet! I found some sites and blogs that other women commented on and here is what I found out.
 I can't right now : (  bummer

I found a lot of good advice like:
-just brisk walking right now.  One woman started running too soon after her lumpectomy and got really sore from it.
-when you walk, don't swing your affected arm, put your hand on your hip to prevent it and it keeps you from rubbing your skin.
- wear a cami with a bra in it at first.  Now I understand that I am not the only one who can't wear a bra. Then move onto a sports bra
-do arm exercises on the affected side to prevent edema.  I just got these the other day so I guess I need to start on them.
-don't lay on the affected side.  Oops. already did.
-stretch my arm and exercise through radiation to keep my skin stretched out. (EWWW) I am starting to think this radiation is a bad thing!!
- I am not the only person going through this or have gone through this!!  (best advice)

So I walked on my treadmill today for 30 minutes.  It was so BORING!!  I want to run, not walk, but I guess it is better than just sitting on the couch being bored. And the hardest part was to walk with my hand on my hip.  OMG!  This is so abnormal way to walk. But I do have to say it helped keep me from rubbing my incision site.
While I was walking and listening to my ipod, I heard a song that when you listen to the words, it is so true to me right now.  It is called He Said by Group 1 Crew.  One part in it goes like this:
"I won't give you more, more than you can take.
I may let you bend, but I won't let you break. don't forget what He Said"
This is so true.  I feel the bend right now and sometimes I feel like I am breaking (last night one of those times!) but I know He won't let that happen.  Jesus is always there to pick me up or hold me (which is another great song BTW by Jaime Grace!!).
So right now I am just going to walk and be patient and just bend with what comes my way.  I will get through whatever comes.  I am realizing this each day, so by the time I get to the real heavy duty stuff coming up, I know I will be standing!!
Proverbs 3:5-6
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding:
in all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will make your paths straight".

Love you


No comments:

Post a Comment