Thursday, July 5, 2012

How to tell someone you have cancer

There is really no way to tell someone you have cancer.  I kept saying it over in my mind how I would tell my parents, Rob, my kids, my friends.  It was hard.  So when Rob got home, I told him what the doctor said about my biopsy and what the nurse navigator said.  He was like me, kinda already knew it.  It didn't shock him as much.
Then I called my parents.  How do you tell your mom whose is a breast cancer survivor that her daughter has breast cancer.  So when I called them, I just said, "my biopsy is positive for cancer".  It was like a shock wave hit us.  The same reaction came when I told everyone else in my family.  It was hard having to repeat the same story over and over but I had to tell them personally.  By the time I got done saying it about 5 times, I was totally drained.
Then I had to tell my friends.  I think this was the hardest. Just because I didn't know how they would react or what they would say.  I mean, with my family, I kinda knew how they would react. I knew they would be upset and tell me they love me and all of that.  But with my friends, I didn't know what our conversation would end up being and most of it I told them in person.  So trying not to cry while at work, telling them was really hard. So I just decided to come out and say it "I have been diagnosed with breast cancer". The response of love and help was so overwhelming to me.  You know you have friends but when something like this happens and the support comes out by cards, texting, emails, it is overwhelming.  It has kept me going each day with all the positive encouragement being sent.
Most days, I just get so tired of talking or texting people.  But I know they will understand if I don't answer the phone or answer them back.  It is so draining to just sit around the house with not being able to do much, tired from all the pain meds, and all I can think about is I have breast cancer!

God has sent me many angels to help support me in my physical world.
On Tuesday, I got the news that my nodes were negative for cancer but the tumor was bigger than he thought it was.  It was doubled in size!! Dr. Brown said I may need chemo with radiation too.  I just cried.  I don't want to get it but if this is the road I have to take, then I will.  Just then, 5 minutes after the phone call, God sent my angel.  Missy, my lifetime friend since we were babies.  She gave me so much encouragement and love that by the time we were done talking, my stress and being upset was gone.  And she continues to send me hugs and kisses all the way from South Carolina!!

I could not have gotten this far with out going insane or loosing my mind without my family and friends.  My support system is so big and I didn't realize it until I broke the news to everyone.  People from high school, work (both jobs), church and family all there holding my hand and lifting my spirits each day.  God has truly blessed me in my life and I feel HIS love through each and every one of you.

1 comment:

  1. There are many things that I love about being part of the Wix clan, but one of the greatest things is the support that they provide. Your family, and your friends will be here with you every step of the way! Praying!

    ReplyDelete