Thursday, July 5, 2012

Finally, surgery day

Surgery day.  June 27th.  I had to be at the hospital at 11:30 am for my preop testing and procedures.  Yes a lumpectomy has preop procedures.
They first started my IV which I have to say was not painful because the nurses numb up your hand first!! I think ALL nurses should push for this in all of our patients.  It helped so much!!  She also gave me a valium!!  I guess I looked really stressed.  I know I was.  I had been having GI symptoms and low appetite since all this started.  I think I will be needing a GI doctor after all this over to make sure I don't have an ulcer!
Well after the IV, I was taken to the mammogram suite and the doctor there proceeded to place a wire, yes I said wire, in my right breast to pinpoint the tumor for surgery.  He numbed me up pretty good, because I didn't feel it even though I thought I did at times.
Back to the preop room and more family coming in to visit.  I tried to warn the staff there that my family was big, but they just laughed it off.  Now they know I was serious.  I had a total of 13 people waiting for me to come out of surgery.  My family is awesome.  While waiting, Dr. Brown stopped by and said he had to inject the dye to see where the sentenial node was from my tumor.  He did it right there! Another shot in my breast!!!  WOW is all I can say.
Now off to surgery.

I got over onto the table and the lady, I guess she was the nurse anesthesiologist, was very nice.  She told me all the meds I was going to get.  Good meds!! Then the mask came on my face and the next thing I know, I am being woke up in the recovery room.  I can't tell you how great it was to see a nurse I used to work with there.  She had me laughing even though I was still groggy, and eased my mind.  The power of friendship is hard to describe but the power it has to comfort is overwhelming.

I stayed a little while there and got up in a chair then Rob took me home.  That's it. At least all I can remember. Next blog, telling family about cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment