Saturday, April 30, 2022

mindfulness

 


Mindfulness. Have you heard about this? I am learning all about being in tune with myself and self-care. It seems this is the thing now.....mindfulness.  It is the ability to be fully present. To be aware of where you are and what you are doing. To not be reactive or overwhelmed by what is going on around you.

Hmmm, let's think about this. How many of you just go through the motions and when something happens, you react to it? Well, you are not being mindful. I have had 3 days while my hubs is out of town to be by myself and enjoy the peace of my empty home of not having to talk to anyone or interact with anyone, other than the dog. I have been able to rest my brain, my mind and body. It has been nice. I also didn't have to share the TV remote, I could sleep in the middle of the bed and didn't have to share my wine!

How many of you just take some time for yourself? It doesn't have to be days. It can be an afternoon at the park, or on a hike, or just at the library or coffee shop enjoying a book.  A lot of you will probably say you don't. We tend to take care of others rather than ourselves. Especially nurses. We give so much of ourselves to work, then come home and give to the kids and our spouse that at the end of the day, there is nothing left. 

Next time you have some time alone, (and you may need to make yourself have this time) sit outside and close your eyes. Listen to the sounds. Feel the breeze and the sun on your skin. Smell the pine and flowers, (or cow pasture, if your backyard is like mine!) OR even better, when it rains, go outside. Smell the freshness, feel the rain on your skin. Do this when the kids are taking a nap, or send them out with the hubs for ice cream and you stay home, enjoy the quiet.

This is self care.  RESET. This self care will help you with stressors in your life. Help you be positive and kind. 

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.   Numbers 6:24-26

Love to all,




No comments:

Post a Comment