Thursday, April 14, 2022

Women in my life: MeMaw

 


MeMaw. When I hear that name, I think of so many memories of her in my life. She has been so much to me and I really miss her at times. 

Growing up I would spend the night with night with her. I remember staying up late to watch Johnny Carson and we would sneak some of papaws chocolate ice cream! She had a lavender bathroom and I thought it was so cool. Everything was lavender! It stayed this color until she moved out after my papaw died. It stayed this way for around 40 years!

She would always be there for me to talk to. I would either go to her house after school or call her up. It was funny because papaw would answer the phone and tell her to get off the other extension to talk to me just to get her goat going! I would talk about boy troubles, being mad at mom (a lot of the time) and just life stuff.

Once I got married, I still went over there. I remember seeing her sitting on the front porch. Or her seat at the kitchen table. She had her seat, and papaw had his. When I got in nursing school, she would have me look at stuff and diagnose stuff. And I mean anything....bumps on her bum, rashes, spots.... Craziness!

CHOCOLATE PIE! She made me chocolate pie for my birthday. EVERY YEAR. I looked forward to this. I knew it was coming. 

She had a loving heart and a crazy sense of humor. She was always there, even toward the end. It is hard when someone you love has alzheimer's. They forget a lot of things but sometimes there is a clarity and you can talk. She would ask me one day how the twins were, thinking they were still babies. Then she would ask me another day when the hubs and I were going to get married. She thought papaw was still alive and was asking where he was at. At first we would remind her that he had passed on. But that got to be so hard, because it was like she was mourning him all over again. So we just would tell her that he was out. 

I miss her. I miss being with her and talking with her. She loved with all her heart. I will see her once again, when we meet up in Heaven.

Do you have a MeMaw, G.ma, Meme, Nana, Mimi, grandma, GiGi or whatever your grandma goes by still around?  Love on them, visit them, call them and tell them you love them. These are memories that will stay with you and bring you joy.

“Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way, it is not irritable or resentful, it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.” – 1 Corinthians 13:4-7


Love to all, 

No comments:

Post a Comment