Sunday, October 28, 2012

The other side...

Well, I still find it difficult for me to wrap my head and mind about me being on the other side of healthcare.  Me, a patient.  It sucks big time!!  I am not happy about it. And when I don't feel good, I really don't like it.

Yesterday, I had to go to the ER.  I developed a sore throat and cough and thought I was getting sick due to my chemo and counts being down the week before. So I called the MD and got the nurse practitioner and she said I needed to to go to the hospital to get checked out. So I called  mom and she came and got me and took me to Suburban Hospital. I thought when I called the MD they would just call in a scrip for antibiotics.  NOOOOOOO, I had to drive in town to be seen when I wasn't feeling good at all.
And to top it off, I was dupped up on phenergan, hence mom driving me.

So Suburban people are nice. I can't complain, they took care of me.  I had to repeat my story many times about my chemo, nausea, (which were normal due to my treatment that week).  I wonder why people just don't read what is written down instead of asking over and over the same questions already asked by someone else.  But I kept on repeating the story, "I just had my 5th treatment this week for breast cancer."  "Yes this nausea is normal and it happens every time".  " No I haven't had any fevers."  "Yes I feel like crap".
"The nurse practitioner sent me here for tests." " My blood work and counts were down last week."
I think I repeated all this at least 3 times if not more.

So the ER MD ordered tests. I got lab work, which turned out ok, counts down but ok.  I got a chest xray, which was good, no pneumonia.  I also got a rapid strept test.  WOW!!  being nauseated and getting your throat swabbed doesn't work to well.  I almost, yes I am that good, almost puked when she swabbed my throat!! No puke came.  I really hate to puke.  It is the worse feeling.  I have been trying not to since my last treatment (#4) and this treatment (#5) it has come really close.  So I have a feeling puke will make scene at the next and last treatment.
Oh, sorry, got off on a tangent. My strept swab came back negative.
So they released me. and guess what my diagnosis was on discharge......SORE THROAT!  WHAT???!%%

I could have told him that, oh wait, I DID!!  So he sent me home with cough suppressant script. Whatever!

So I still have my cough, and it is in my chest and I can't lay down because all I want to do is cough.  I hardly have a voice, which Rob will say is a good thing!! HA.
So I have said my rant and my peace.  It sucks being sick. I am not liking it still, and will never accept this.  I try to stay positive, but it can be hard as I have said before.  As this comes to an end in the next few weeks, I find that I am caving into all the symptoms of this chemo.  ONLY ONE MORE!! And hopefully no more ER visits.

Psalms 41:6 "The Lord sustains them (me) on their sickbed and restores them (me) from their (my) bed of illness"
My God will make me well!

Love to all,






No comments:

Post a Comment