Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Survivor

 

Are you a survivor? I think us all have survived from something in our life. My biggest fight I have survived from, I think, is breast cancer.

First day of chemo

My hair falling out and Robby shaving it off


after the shave

Scarves for me, wigs NO

My beautiful head


me now: A SURVIVOR

  I know I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer to log what I was going through and to keep me from having to repeat the tough answers to questions that everyone asked me. (you can go back to the beginning if you are interested in my journey)

Questions like: "how are you doing?"; "what did the doctor say?"; "when is your treatment?"; "why do not have any hair?"

I was diagnosed June 2012 and that started a whirlwind of emotions, treatments, illness. My chemo and radiation treatments were not done until July 2013. One whole year. A year where I lost a lot. My hair. My health. My life. You see, it was all about the cancer. I was identified by my cancer. So was my family. You could see it on me. I couldn't escape it. I tried. Wigs- don't work. Scarves were pretty but still showed I was sick. Tired all the time. Nausea/vomiting- speaks for itself. Radiation- that's another story.

Radiation was hard. I had just finished my chemo and started this. They had to map my body so the radiation was aimed at the right place. It taught me that as a healthcare worker, to show empathy and understanding to my patients. I laid on that table with the techs getting me ready for scans and they were joking and laughing.  All I could think was, I have cancer. I am lying here half naked in front of people I don't know. They don't care. Then I would cry. crocodile tears.

I had already lost my hair, which was a nightmare. I tried to tell myself that it was "just hair" and that it would grow back. But that didn't help. I would look in the mirror and be reminded of what I was going through everyday. But I do have to say that I have a really cute bald head! 

So what have I learned from this? Radiation shrinks tissue, which means my boobs are lopsided. I learned to rely on others to help me. I kinda liked the bald look-but not enough to keep it! Being a patient is hard, (I was not a good one).

I survived a lot. I am not alone. These hard times only help to make us stronger. It helps to teach us lessons in life. 

October is breast cancer awareness month. I just want you to know that cancer doesn't care how old you are or if you are a male or female. I encourage everyone to do your monthly breast checks and if over 35, annual breast mammograms. Squeeze those girls!!!

John 16:33 "I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have trouble. But take heart; I have overcome the world."

Love to all,


No comments:

Post a Comment