Sunday, June 2, 2024

The fear of cancer

 

First, I AM OK.  It seems I have to keep letting everyone know that I am ok. (and myself). Sorry but this will be a long one, it has been 4 months!

It has been a rough last month.  I am sorry I have not kept up my messages, but it just seems like time gets away from me, and then the enemy tries to knock you down!

Just to update those who may not know my journey. In 2012, I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I was 44 years old with two 15 yo at home. It was a hard time for a year and a half. Surgery, chemo, and radiation were my treatment, but I was able to remain positive and lean on God through it all.

Fast forward....I have had all good checkups, mammograms, and no issues since. Last year there was a little scare with my mammogram "showing something" but it was all benign. 

Since I developed COVID-19 in December, I couldn't get rid of this nagging cough. then a few months ago it just got worse. So bad that when I would cough, it would turn into a coughing fit and bronchospasm. Sorry to say that in my old age, I may or may not have peed a little! So after much pushing from the hubs, I went to the doctor and she had me get a chest x-ray. I thought I had pneumonia. But the next day she calls and tells me that they see something in my right lung and the radiologist is recommending a CT scan.

FEAR sets in. You see, if you are someone who has gone through cancer, the biggest fear you have is that your cancer returns or you get it somewhere else. My doctor calls this PTSD. I thought only those who went through war would get this, but it is ANY traumatic event. I always thought I made it through and survived cancer and I would be ok. But it never leaves you, never leaves your mind. It always lingers in the back of your mind. This is called trauma. It shows up in many different ways for some people. For me, it is this. 

So I had the CT and it showed 3 nodules in my left lung. They couldn't rule out infection so we developed a treatment plan. I am starting to get used to having a treatment plan. If you know me, you know this is true....I already had a plan for what I was going to do if it was positive for cancer. I had it already mapped out. But this plan for now was take a steroid pack, and antibiotics, then once that is done, get a PET scan.  So that is what I did. I had the PET scan this past week and had to wait 2 days to get the results.WAITING IS HARD! Like I said, it is all good. One of the nodules is gone, and the other two have decreased in size. So the radiologist said it was infectious and inflammation. 

I prayed so hard. The hard part was that I didn't want to worry my family, so we just kept it between me, the hubs, and the kids. When my doctor walked in to tell me and hubs, I don't think she realized how stressful this time had been for us. She immediately saw Hubs sitting there and urgently said, it is all good. Then she pulled it up and explained the results. Doctors just don't realize how stressful things are with their patients at the time they make us wait. 

I am sure this is not going to be the last time I get a "scare" with my health. And I am sure it isn't going to get any easier for me or my hubs. I pray it is the last time. I don't think my BP could handle any more fluctuations going up and down! I do go back for a follow up CT in August. And I know I will be on pins and needles for this, but I will just take whatever comes my way.

Some things about being a patient that I realized with me:

  • I am a baby when it comes to IV and needle sticks..and they hurt like the dickens!
  • The CT scan and PET scan table is hard as a rock!
  • When they say the contrast from the CT scan will make me feel warm, they are not lying! But they do need to warn of the feeling of like you peed yourself. I thought I was going to need a new pair of pants before I went back to work! I literally had to double check to make sure everything was dry.
  • There is nothing that can help with the waiting.
  • Empathy is big with patients. You never know what they are going through.

Deuteronomy 31:8 in the Bible says, "The LORD himself will lead you and be with you. He will not fail you or abandon you, so do not lose courage or be afraid"

Love to all, 


2 comments:

  1. I had no idea you were going through this scare. I pray the meds continue to work to make it all disappear! Love and prayers for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you so much. You are one of the bravest ladies I know. I am proud to be your mama

    ReplyDelete