Saturday, August 5, 2017

growing older

Yes the title is growing older, not getting older.  Theres a difference.  I am not getting older because that would mean I get something out of it.  I don't get anything out of getting older other than feeling old and people calling me mam.  Growing older implies that I am maturing and becoming wiser.  I would hope that I am growing older by my definition. My birthday will soon be here (November- shhh), and I will be _________ years old!  It's getting here.  Isn't is funny how the older we get, the more we concentrate on the number of the years?? I find myself putting more attention on what my body can't do anymore than what I can do.  As I have gotten older, God has given the ability to can- to listen more than to always talk.  He has given me the knowledge to can pickles!  He has given me some ability to cook better (even though I don't like to cook!)  And I know this because my kids are now eating my dinners! But he has also opened me up to new ideas and more courage than I ever had when I was younger.  I have been given the ability to understand more and have more empathy to understand others.  Some may call this maturity.  Call it what you want, I think it is God growing me into the woman he wants me to be.
So as my birthday approaches, I will accept that I will be 50 years old.  I may feel older than this on some days, but on most days, I am smiling and thankful for those pangs and aches.  It just reminds me that I am alive! And I have 3 more months left to be the younger 49!
"Praise the Lord.  Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever." Psalm 106:1

Love to all,

No comments:

Post a Comment