Friday, June 17, 2016

I am trying

I am trying. You may think I'm not, but I am.  You're saying, "what are you talking about!"  I am trying to be a good patient. But it is hard when me and my doctor seem to not agree on anything.  Here is the story.  I have been taking turmeric to treat my joint pain.  Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties and it really works for me on keeping my knee and hip pain at bay.  But I recently found that turmeric can "act like estrogen" in your body. That concerned me because my breast cancer was estrogen receptor +.  So I stopped taking it and it has only been about 5 days, but I can tell my knees and hips are starting to ache more and my knees are starting to protest taking the stairs at work.
So like a good patient that was told not to google anymore, I didn't and I asked my doctor about it.  Of course he didn't know anything about and couldn't answer any of my questions.  He would only say that supplements are not regulated by the FDA and I should take advil or naproxin.  But then he would tell me to take supplements of calcium and vit d. (which I already am doing),  Go figure!
So I am going to restart my turmeric since he said it wouldn't interfere with my treatment.  My body is saying YAY!!!
My bone density scan came back and it shows I have the pre-osteoporosis.  My doctor is recommending me take Prolia.  It is a medication to increase my bone density which you take a shot twice a year.  He gave me all the results of studies and trials.  Long story short, this drug compared to the other drugs for osteoporosis have better outcomes and it actually has shown a longer recurrence of breast cancer in those in the trial.  So he sent me home to think about it.  I don't think he realizes that sending me home to think about it means to me to "google" about it and research it more!  And don't think I won't!
I will keep you posted!
When, then, shall we say in response to these things?  If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31
Love to all,

No comments:

Post a Comment